Participation in the New Visions ELA Curriculum professional development workshops (open to teachers from New Visions affiliated schools) provides the opportunity for teachers to be a part of a diverse community of practice, collaborating with their peers from across the city during unit-based full-day professional development sessions. These sessions provide a forum for teachers to learn together how to make instructional decisions using the New Visions ELA Curriculum with their students. Key components of all workshops include:
- Unit-based sessions - Each meeting is based on an upcoming unit; teachers experience units as learners in order to anticipate student misconceptions and challenges and make decisions about modifying resources. Since participating teachers stay close to a common scope and sequence, sessions are timely and grounded in content.
- Experiential learning - During each unit-based workshop, participants can expect to experience key activities from the curriculum so they can use that experience when planning for their students.
- Differentiated support through collaborative planning - In order to support different levels of experience with the New Visions ELA Curriculum, each session includes collaborative planning so teachers can discuss instructional strategies and shared problems with colleagues whose experience differs from their own.
ELA Workshop Registration for the 2017-18 School Year:
- Workshop #1- August 21 & 22- Introduction to the ELA Curriculum at New Visions for Public Schools
- Workshop #2 - November 16 - Argument Writing
- Workshop #3 - February 28 - Click here to register.
- Workshop #4 - April 12 - Click here to register.