Why Should I Use this Handbook?
- My students are not high-school ready with reading, writing, and/or discourse.
- I’m in my first year at a school.
- I'm a veteran teacher looking for new learning strategies.
- I don’t know how to teach reading in my subject area.
- My students struggle with content because of a literacy barrier.
- My colleagues use terms like ‘GIST’ and ‘annotation’ and I don’t know what they mean.
- I see the same things taught completely different in other classrooms, which must be confusing for students.
- I want to improve how I think about literacy in my daily lesson plans.
- I want strategies that are specific to middle school students.